Tuesday, July 17, 2012

They stink

I finally saw my doctor on Monday and was able to tell her the news about the husband and I trying to conceive. I know I have said this before, but I LOVE my doctor. I really do. I think I'm one of the luckiest people in the world when I say that. She is amazing.

She never once criticized me about my weight when I was obese. Both times. The second time I lost the weight and came to see her (I was around 160 I believe) she proceeded to lead me around the office and show me to all the nurses and staff and tell them what I had done.

So, when I saw her yesterday and that I had gained some weight, she didn't blink an eye. She looked at my chart and at me and said "If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have noticed. You look great. Besides, you'll lose it. You are the perfectly healthy patient that every doctor wishes they could have. Your blood pressure is perfect (110/70) your resting heart rate is fantastic (60) and you take amazing care of yourself. 20 extra pounds is no big deal. I want to hire you and show to every patient that comes into the office so they can see weight loss can be achieved".

Blink. Blink. Blink. That was kind of what I did when she said that to me.

See why I love her? I would follow her all over the state. And I sort of had. This is the 3rd practice she has been at and I go with her when she moves. I just love her that much. I trust her. She isn't a pill pusher. She listens. I feel like she "gets" me. You know?

I told her that we're trying to conceive and she was so excited. She suggested I start taking a prenatal vitamin. I'm not getting enough calcium, so I need to up that. And, unfortunately, I'm going to have to find an OB/GYN when I get pregnant because she's not. I'm going to see who the work bestie used for her pregnancy.

Let me just tell you those prenatal vitamins? They stink.Something fierce. Holy hell. And I'm trying to up my calcium. I just don't drink milk. So it's going to have to be some sort of cheese or yogurt. I'm working on that.

The eating and exercise is going well. I worked out Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I took today as a rest day. I was beat last night. I went to bed at 8:45pm.

Hard to believe tomorrow is already Wednesday. This week is flying by.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean-- I adore my doctor, and if she were to go elsewhere, I would defnitely follow her. She's ecouraged me to lose weight, but it was never pushy, and I never got the "let me just ignore anything else you have going on because you're obese" treatment from her. Actually, I need to make an appointment to see her. It's been *years* since I don't have insurance and gyn visits are expensive as hell. (Besides, when you're not sexually active, it's really not much of a piority. Lol)

I took prenatal vitamins for a while, because I didn't want to have to take a multi and a separate folic acid... you're right; they smell horrible, and they're a pain in the ass to swallow!

safire said...

It's so nice you have a doctor you truly connect with! Sometimes it feels it's so hard to find someone like that nowadays :)

Good luck with everything!

Treesa said...

prenatal vitamins are super rough! i had such a hard time taking them without gagging! ha!! :)

Andy said...

Your doctor sounds AWESOME! I don't blame you for following her around from practice to practice. :)

Sarah said...

Yay! That doc sounds great----and trying to conceive is SO fun! ;) Can't wait to hear positive news!

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Kate said...

Good luck with your baby making!! Take your prenatal vitamins before bed and you won't even notice them!!!

christina said...

They have gummy prenatals - they dont have iron in them so if you need iron you need to take an extra pill but the gummies are SOOOO much better! Target sells them.