Monday, March 7, 2011

5K recap

I did it. I ran my 5K yesterday. I'm not sure what I was so scared of. Because once the race started I was fine. But let me start from the beginning of the day.

The night before my stomach was a mess. I'm not sure why, but it was. I think it was something I ate because the hubby had stomach issues, too. And I was so afraid it was going to continue. Luckily it was fine, but it was still not happy with me.

I got up early. Early. 5:30am actually and showered and got ready. The race was an hour away and started at 9am so I had to get up early. Plus I didn't get my race packet before hand so I needed to get there as early as I could. I was pretty nervous the whole ride down, but my husband was so supportive and kept telling me I would do great. I wasn't so so sure about that. I was also afraid it was going to start pouring at any minute. It looked like it was going to.

When we got to where the race was starting (Toad's Place, this cool music club that has been around forever) my hands were shaking. I told the girl my number and I had such a hard time putting it on that I had to have my husband help me. I was such a wreck. After that I had to get my shirt (which is a medium and fits lovely).

Finally met up with my awesome buddy Kelly:

Hard to believe that this is only the second time we met and to be honest, if she wasn't running, I probably would have totally freaked out and not gone. But I am glad that I did because it was an amazing experience for me. And I finally got my first run outside. Which I needed. Kelly and I are running the half marathon together on the 20th and I now know my runs need to be done outside.

Kelly and I waited until the race started together, but once it started, she was gone. Which I knew she would be. She is much faster and I knew she would finish first. Which was fine by me. I am used to running in my own head and I pretty much needed to deal with it myself. I almost made it through the whole thing without having to stop, but I got a cramp. But I had to stop. I am not used to having to pace myself. The treadmill does that for me. But my time?

39:36

Not bad. I don't think that is bad at all.

It did start raining right at the end and I was getting so tired. Which is crazy considering I rain 9 miles on the treadmill the day before. And was fine. But running on pavement is so different. But I pushed and pushed and I did it.

And when I finished I was kind of dazed. A little stunned. But happy.

Enjoyed a big bagel and beer.

I was so tired all day. My legs were beat. And today I felt hungover. But I'm feeling much better now. Going to get back to running tomorrow.

And I'm ready for my half!!

5 comments:

ElleBee said...

Congrats Sarah, you are AWESOME! :)

christina said...

CONGRATS!!!!

Phoenix said...

Woo-hoo!!! You did AMAZING!!! I can relate so much to your pre-race nerves because I had them driving down to that exact same race myself. But you overcame them and did phenomenal! I'm so proud of you and you're going to do great at NYC. This was a great chance to get the nerves out and experience a race. You did it, you conquered it, and now you're ready for the big time!!!! I hope we do this again next year because it will be a whole different feeling for you. Rock on, my friend. WINNING!

Sevenbeads said...

39:36

Not bad? That's terrific! You should really give yourself a big pat on the back.

Unknown said...

greeting for you
wow first come in here make me know more and learn more its very nic oh ya i was follow you if you agree folow back me thankxs