Saturday, October 23, 2010

Family

Those of you who follow me on Twitter, know that my nephew and girlfriend were in a car accident yesterday. A pretty bad one. My oldest sister was such a wreck that she actually didn’t call anyone. The only reason we (my other sister and I) found out was because Sissy (my nephew’s Mom) called middle sister that morning before it happened and middle sister was calling her back. Sissy didn’t even remember why she had called at that point. Said she was at the hospital because of my nephew and she would call middle sister back.

Turns out my nephew and his girlfriend were heading to Sissy’s house and in a school zone. Going way too fast and neither had a seatbelt on. They hit a truck head on. My nephew had the steering wheel to “protect” him plus the airbag. His girlfriend had nothing. Not too mention she is a teeny, tiny thing. They found her UNDER the dashboard. My nephew has a lot of lower body issues. Broken pelvis, etc. They had to put a plate in his groin last night. No spinal injuries. No brain injuries. The girlfriend on the other hand, was not so lucky. Both legs, feet, and arms are broken. Her nose, her jaw. Her spleen and kidneys are injured. They are not sure about her spine yet. She’s also older then my nephew. He is 23, she is 30. And she already had bone problems.

Right now he is still heavily medicated. She is at a different hospital so we haven’t seen her or her family yet. But we want to. She is a sweet and smart girl. Hopefully we can go and see her soon. My sister said not to come today but I want to. This is my NEPHEW we’re talking about. And I want to see HER, too. She needs me. She was surprised yet happy to see us when we came last night. We stayed for 4 hours and then when the surgeon said he was going to be okay but we couldn’t see him we left. His Father was there with his Step Mom and his Grandmother, plus a bunch of his friends. So Sissy was not alone.

Rough stuff. I’m a wreck today and not really wanting to be at work. I probably will work a couple hours and bail.

But you all are awesome and I love you for your kind words! Muah!!

7 comments:

Ali said...

I just stumbled across your blog- I am so sorry for your family. I will be praying for your nephew and his girlfriend, and your family.

WWSuzi said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the accident! I'll keep your nephew and his girlfriend in my thoughts and prayers.

Rhi @ Hummingbird's Song said...

I'm so sorry to read this. Thinking of you and your family.

Alexia said...

my kind thoughts and prayers with you & your family.

-a-

Pam said...

Oh goodness!! Praying for the family... keep us posted!

Melissa said...

I just found your blog last week and was checking in.

I'm so sorry! Please keep us posted and know you and your family are in my thoughts.

Jaime said...

OMG Sarah! I had hoped that your follow up news about this would be better. My thoughts are with you, your family and your nephew's gf!