Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fast food is evil

The big rage in Connecticut today is the new Sonic that opened up here. I really don't see what the big deal is. It's another fast food restaurant. Big whoop. Who cares. I don't get it. But it's all over the news and it's all over the radio. I mean it's really a BIG DEAL.

The one thing that has really stuck with me all day is the guy on the radio who said he took the day off from work so he could go to the grand opening. Of a fast food restaurant. Are you KIDDING ME?!

My friends, we all know we are living in a world where we have a obesity epidemic. I don't like to push it or preach it on people. But it makes me SICK that someone would actually do this. I mean it's your right to do this, take the day off from work if you must, but the restaurant is not going anywhere. It's going to be there tomorrow. It's going to be there Saturday. It's going to be there a week from today. It just opened. I mean yes, it's the first Sonic in Connecticut but get real.

So many Americans (and other countries) are overweight and it's a problem. We live in a time where it's so easy to eat fast food. Why?! Why do you have to take time off work to go to a fast food restaurant?

Take it from me. Someone who ate fast food 3 times a day for nearly 3 years. And what did that get me? THIS is what it got me:


287 pounds. This picture was taken in 1998. My heaviest recorded weight. I was miserable. I started losing weight not too soon after this but I hated myself. It took a long time before I started liking how I looked. There were not a lot of pictures of me between 1998-2002.

I am not perfect. I slipped up and I gained back weight. I went from 150 pounds to 260.8 pounds between 2005-2008. I understand that I have issues with food. I know it's going to be a lifelong battle and I may never have 100% control of it. But I will never ever go back to eating that way. Watching the move "Supersize Me" made sure of that. And I don't want to teach my children to eat that way. I want them to eat the healthy way.

Right now I am loving the way I am eating. I love eating clean and I don't miss the processed food. I don't miss the diet soda. Since I started eating clean at the end of February my body has just "let go" of the weight and it's unreal. To go from 242 to 207 is amazing. I want to eat this way for the rest of my life.

And yes, I understand you can eat decently at some fast food places. I'm not saying it's all horrible food. But I stay way from it. I haven't stepped foot in one of those places in years. I can't even remember. I DID get a coffee from McDonald's a few months ago. I admit that.

Enough of my rant. I have been saving that bad boy up all day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sonic is definitely kind of that "it's tasty because it's so bad for you" type of place, but you're right- taking a day off for it? Not cool.

Food Inc is another great documentary to watch. It motivated me to make some changes regarding nutrition!

karen said...

This disturbed me when you tweeted it and it still does. Yeah, I've put plenty of crap into my body over the years ... but really? This just saddens me. As does "Man Vs Food" ... although we watch it regularly and I've met the guy who puts himself through all of the food challenges. It's like it's "cool" apparently to damage our bodies & take years off of our lives with ridiculous amounts of crap. Go ahead ... ask anyone who's lost a loved one to complications stemming from obesity or other diseases easily remedied by a healthy diet how cool it really is.

Anonymous said...

I saw your tweet about that yesterday morning. Honestly, a vacay day so that you could go for take out? Couldn't they have just stopped at the drive thru on the way home?

I know, that's not the point. What is this world coming to....

For Canadians fast food is directly related to the obesity epidemic, which in turn is a direct drain to the tax payers because most of our health care is free due to the taxes we pay.

SherRon said...

Sonic is yucky anyway. I hope that man finds at least something good to do with his day off :)

Holly said...

Forgive me for I am about to be a little controversial in regards to your post. I come from a place where up until a few years ago didn't have a Sonic in more than a few states away and one was going to open in my state and my city. People were beyond excited about, traveled from far away just to try Sonic. I can see why the guy took the day off. For some people, it's the experience, maybe he had a childhood connection. Take my husband for example. He grew up going to Sonic as a kid with his family. Not everyday but occasionally. For him to go now it was for memories sake. I can also see why he took the day off as opposed to just going after work, people waited inline for THREE hours just to eat there.

I say, that if you are not fighting a food addiction there is no reason why you can't indulge in your favorite fast food restaurant the day it opens in your city for the first time.

But, yes, for someone like me who has a food addiction and is battling it through clean eating it's not a good idea to go.

Just sayin' and it's just my take.

Unknown said...

I followed a link that brought me here. I'll share on your blog what I shared on Karen's:

It's insane, but it isn't all that new to me. In 2002, my city welcomed its first Krispy Kreme. I wasn't impressed because I don't like their doughnuts. However, on opening day, they ran a radio-publicized contest. The heaviest person to walk through the door would receive their weight in doughtnuts. I was sill fairly new to Weight Watchers at the time and worked very hard at not getting sick while listening to this announcement on my way to work.

Brianna said...

I grew up with Sonic in my hometown, and there is one in the town that I live in now. I can't think of any food item on the menu that I would go out and but, HOWEVER, they do have a killer diet cherry limeaid. Definitely not a "clean eating" item, but seriously good, especially when they have happy hour and it's like $1 for a large! LOL

Phoenix said...

I think it's the novelty of having one in CT. I love Sonic but it's a rare treat.

Valerie Roberson said...

In Texas Sonic is as ubiquitous as Mickey D's, so it's funny to think of anybody that worked up over it. Huh.

You can make pretty good choices anywhere I guess. And it probably is just the novelty of it. But still, a vacation day? Sheesh. . .