Thursday, April 1, 2010

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Today would have been my Father's 71st Birthday. It's still hard, even after nearly 16 years. I think it always will be. I think it's the first time I haven't wanted to hide in bed all day. I realize he isn't in pain and he isn't suffering. That it is okay to talk about him. My Dad loved me very much and I know that.

Sometimes I feel a bit guilty for not spending more time with him the last few months of his life.

I was 18 and a senior in high school. I had a lot of friends and a boyfriend and getting ready to graduate from high school. I know I can't go back and change things but I wish I could. But I know my Dad knew I loved him and I know that he loved me and that is all that matters.

I do wish he could have gotten to know my husband. Because I know they would have gotten along like two peas in a pod. I know I married my father and I am thankful for that.

So Happy Birthday Daddy. I miss you and I love you. I hope wherever you are you are riding your motorcycle and raising hell like only you can.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Hugs Sarah!

Amy said...

dang, i'm an emotional mess right now, because this made me cry. seriously.

you're right, the most important thing was that your dad knew you loved him.