Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Weekly Challenge

This week Amy wanted us to blog about short term and long term goals. It's not always an easy thing when you are faced with 90+ pounds to lose but as someone who has lost over 130 pounds before, I know it is something you can do without surgery.

Short term:

Water, water, water. I am usually pretty good about drinking my water every day. I try to limit my coffee intake at work to 2 cups a day and stop drinking it by 11am in the morning. Then I drink nothing but water until I get home and then have 2 glasses of diet decaffeinated soda at before bed. Weekends are harder for more so I really need to put the effort in on Saturday and Sunday to drink more water.

Tracking my food. I've been really good about tracking everything I eat and I know if I continue to do this I will continue to see success and weight loss. It not only works for counting points, but for counting calories as well.

Exercise. Lately I have really been slacking in the exercise department, despite the fact I have managed to drop 10 pounds in the past 7 weeks. I haven't exercised in over a week and I know that exercise is not only the key to losing weight, but to keeping it off. Plus it's good for MY mental health. I know that I am going to have to exercise to lose more weight and right now it is probably just water weight, so I am going to have to get back into the gym sooner or later. I love to exercise and I'm happy when I'm there.

Long term:The above picture is me at Christmas of 2004. Those are my size 8 jeans that I am trying so hard to get back into. .I was 150 pounds, healthy, and fit and so very happy. I thought I wanted to drop another 20 pounds here. What was I thinking? Check out those collarbones!!

I also want to run again. I want to run everyday again and run at least a 5K if nothing else.

I am trying to lose weight for our 10 year wedding anniversary which is September of 2010. So that is a pretty long term goal, too. Not sure what we are going to do for that yet but I want to do something nice.


So far that's it. I'm not sure if it's enough but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can see myself as that woman I am in the picture up there, at Christmas in the those size 8's again. It's been a long time since I saw that woman and I know I can reach that goal if I keep doing what I have been doing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we are supposed to come up with some REWARDS, too. Things to help us enjoy the journey and stay motivated. :-)

Congrats on losing 10 pounds in 7 weeks, too!

Carolina John said...

those are good goals. Given your newfound fondness for the bike, see if there's a local bike club you can join. you might also want to find a metric century ride that you can get in on. 62 miles (or even half that distance) is a long way to ride, and you have to get in good aerobic and bike shape to do that.

I bet picking an athletic goal will help keep you focused on your eating goals. with cycling, you get a great workout in without the knee and ankle impact problems from running. and by the time you complete the long bike ride you will have lost enough weight and gained enough aerobic endurance to pick up running again easily.

I remember once my wife hit her WW goal weight, she started picking out marathons to help her maintain. just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Love your goals...You convicted me with the water thing. I drink way too much diet soda. I am going to work to give that up as one of my goals!

http://she-fit.com