Saturday, November 7, 2009

Lets talk Weight Watchers

In my last post, Scott commented and asked me what it was I liked best about Weight Watchers. That is really a good question and I had to stop and think about it.

I've been doing the whole Weight Watchers thing since I was 14 years old. The first time I did it I was lost 40 pounds. I went from 187 to 140 pounds. I don't remember how long it took but it was in time for high school and I know that I shocked a lot of my school friends when I started freshmen year. I went from a size 16 to a size 10. I was able to keep it off for most of my high school years. Until I met the soon to be husband. Ha ha. That was when I started to really gain some serious weight and when I graduated high school I was probably pushing 250 but I didn't own a scale so I couldn't be too sure.

My Mom did WW when I was 2. She lost 90 pounds the first time. She is a lifetime member. Back then (in the '70's) it was a lot different. You couldn't have ketchup. No mayo either. If you wanted tuna fish you ate it with mustard. Shudder. Ick. You had to eat LIVER daily. Even now my Mom doesn't eat ketchup.

When I first did WW you didn't have points you were allowed so many milks, veggies, fruits proteins and carbs per day. You had to check them off on your little card as you went. Trust me the points system was heaven when I rejoined in 1998. In 1998 I was 287 pounds. By 2000 I was 220. It took me awhile to drop 67 pounds but I was so happy with my success. I worked out at home 4 days a week for 30 minutes to a kick boxing VHS tape. I cheated after my meetings and yet I lost usually every week. I was fine with that. I went from a (tight) size 28 to a comfy size 18.

Then well I just kind of stopped going to meetings. Not sure what happened. I gained back 36 pounds by the time I started my current job in 2001. I was 256 pounds and in a size 22. I hated myself for putting in all that hard work and told myself I would get back to 220 pounds no matter what.

By December of 2001 I was 220. I kept going and losing. People started pulling me aside at work and asking me if I was losing weight (duh!) and then by the time we went to London in 2002 I was 200 pounds. I was wearing a size 16 pants for the first time since I could remember. I think what really helped was when I joined the gym in August of 2001. By December of 2002 I was 175 pounds. And then by June of 2003? 154 pounds. My doctor could not believe it!

Of course all along my goal was to be 130 pounds but I changed that to 150 because I felt comfortable there. And my body seemed to like it. The lowest weight I ever saw was 149 in 2004. I was a size 8 and felt awesome.

I don't know what happened. I thought I had it under control. Running 5 miles a day. But things happen. I injured myself. My coworker/friend died. Things happen. But I am working really hard right now to get back to where I was. And I know I can do it because I have done it before.

So to answer the question what do I like about WW? Everything. I love that I can eat whatever I want. I love that I can have pizza and it's fine. It's in my points to have that. I can have a beer, too. NOTHING is off limits. I always have the best success from meetings. Beth (the woman who does the meetings on Saturday) has lost over 100 pounds and has kept it off for over 15 years. How is that for success? To let you know it can be done? And she struggles, too! There was a time that she gained back 20 pounds. And she was talking to us about it. She is awesome. She is a great leader.

I have tried EVERY SINGLE diet out there and yet I come back to Weight Watchers every time because it is what works for me. I have the best success with it because I don't feel deprived. I can have what I want.

The support is great. Most of the time the support on the boards is great, too, although there can be some drama. Ha ha.

Anyway I am super excited to go to the meeting this morning. I know the scale will say differently then mine but that is fine, too.

I'll post more later. Happy Saturday!!

2 comments:

purple_moonflower said...

Thanks Sarah for sharing your story!

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

Thank you so much for sharing.

I believe in you. xx